A handsome location and neighborly vibe
West Suburban Temple Har Zion is located at the corner of Harlem Avenue and Thomas Street in River Forest, Illinois, just west of Chicago and bordering the village of Oak Park at 1040 N. Harlem Avenue.
Our home encompasses our temple and preschool. There are countless notable symbols of Jewish art, culture, and iconography adorning the building’s walls and throughout the sanctuary, creating a stunning and inspiring space, including:
Ease of Access
Our community is surrounded by excellent public transportation, including the CTA Green Line and the Metra commuter rail system. Both trains extend to downtown Chicago, Metra serves the suburbs. We are also just a few miles north of I-290, the interstate that connects Chicago to Oak Park and River Forest and western suburbs.
Click here to find out more about accessibility and accommodations.
River Forest and Oak Park Communities
Located 9 miles west of downtown Chicago, the communities of Oak Park and River Forest are known for quiet tree-lined streets. The villages maintain a small village feel with block parties, family activities, community theater and a growing downtown with shops, restaurants and services. These communities are two of the most interesting, diverse and vibrant neighborhoods in the Chicago area.
Both communities feature historical architecture and landscaped gardens. You can find the home and studio of Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park and the largest single concentration of Wright homes. Famous Chicagoans have lived here, including Ernest Hemingway, Percy Julian Dan Castellaneta and notorious mob criminals. Our history and architecture draw visitors from all over the world.
Considering a Move to Oak Park or River Forest?
Here are a few details about these communities.
- The Village of River Forest is a mature community located approximately 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. The Village is home to 11,000+ residents, an assortment of businesses, library, park district and two universities.
- Oak Park was voted the third-best neighborhood in the United States by the American Planning Association and also named one of the Best Towns & Neighborhoods in Chicago & the Suburbs by Chicago Magazine.
- Oak Park and River Forest are home to some of the top schools in the country, including Oak Park River Forest High School ranked as one of the Top 20 High Schools in the Chicago suburbs.
- Oak Park schools ranks 3rd in the nation, while River Forest is home to several national Blue-Ribbon schools.
- According to NerdWallet.com, Oak Park is among the Top 20 Most Educated Places in America.
- Oak Park is in the Top 10 Creative Class Locales in the Chicago area, according to U.S. Census data.